Prospering au’n clase
Durg is a city located in Chhattisgarh state, Central India. It is located just east of the Seonath River (Shivnath River) and is part of the Durg-Bhilai urban fascicle. The city is an agricultural market and is heavily engaged in milling rice and pigeon peas. Durg gained importance as an industrial centre after the establishment of a large steel plant at Bhilai. Industries include brass working and bell-metal working, oil pressing, mining, and weaving. It is the headquarters of Durg District, the third largest district of Chattisgarh.
- Uwasaggaharam Parshwa Teerth is a Jain shrine in Nagpura established in 1995. The teerth is located on the banks of the Sheonath River. The entrance to the dazzling marble temple of Shri Parshwanath is through a 30 feet gate that has the idol of Parshwanath, supported by four pillars (representing the four essentials of spiritual atonement, i.e., wisdom, introspection, good conduct, penance), being worshiped by two elephant
- Bhilai Known as ‘Mini India’ it is the ‘industrial cubo’ of Chhattisgarh. Bhilai is also known for the ethnic mosaic and social harmony. It is 25 kms west of the capital city Raipur. Also home to one of the largest steel plants in India, Bhilai Steel Plant (SAIL), has also been awarded the Prime Minister’s Trophy for being the best-integrated steel plant for the past five years. It was also the first plant in India that was vouched for the ISO 9002 quality certification.Bhilai Steel Plant(BSP) :-Bhilai is known for the massive Bhilai Steel Plant, one of the largest integrated steel plants in the whole world, around which the entire economy of the town revolves. Bhilai is the second largest city in Chhattisgarh. Well connected through roadways and railways it is a nice place to look at.Maitri Bagh:- It is memento of the simpatico between Russia and India . The main attractions here are the white tiger, a children’s park, a toy train and the largest musical fountain of Asia.
- It is an unique amalgam of tribal culture, traditional folklore, inveigling natural rhapsodies and blooming industries. The major attraction here is the fire lake.
An age-old temple of Shiva is located here at Deobalod, 3 km from Bhilai. It has a sculptured panel dating back to 11th-12th century AD Shiva temple.
- An ancient palace called Prachin Kila is situated here in Dhamdha. Dhamda is a tourist spot situated 45 kms down the Durg-Bemetara Road. A famous place of worship is also located down this road. Well maintained boarding and lodging facilities are available in strategic locations to attract tourists in large numbers.
Balod is a location 68 kms away from Bhilai. There are a number of temples. Sati Chabutra is another beautiful location to visit. Yet another location to get spiritually enlightened, is the Siyadevi, where Sita Maiya’s Mandir is located. To reach this temple, one needs to travel only 20 kms from Balod. This Mandir has been constructed in the midst of a dense jungle. A waterfall becomes active between the months of July and February. Here a beautiful lake is present the name of lake is Kapileshvar lake. Tandula :- 10 kms. from Bhilai is Durg, from where the Tandula Dam can be reached by travelling another scenic 60 kms.
- Located at Jhalmala, 58 km from Durg, there is an interesting story about the origin of this temple: a fisherman was fishing in the pond near the village when he found an idol in his net. He kept putting it back in the water, it kept coming back into his net. Finally, he got fed up and left it and went home. The same night, in a dream, a villager heard the Goddess saying "I am being ignored by the fisherman . take me out and get me installed." Taking this to be an order, he visited the pond the next morning, retrieved the idol and installed it in a hut near the village (and hence the name). Later a more permanent temple was built here by Bhikam Chand Tawri. The temple trust plays an active role in the life of the villagers, including organizing cultural activities and medical camps.
How to Reach
- There are many buses that run directly to the city from all nearby locations,
- Trains to the city of Durg can be taken from Delhi, Nagpur, Mumbai and other cities like Chennai
Nearest Airport is Raipur which is 40 kms from durg.